Tuesday, January 19, 2010

A little bit of Advocacy

For one of my communication's classes, Media Advocacy and Social Change, I have to do a number of hours of advocacy for a certain subject. I've been thinking about it, and I have always been interested in fairness. Okay, I'm aware of how understated that sentence was. I have a passion for fairness. Life isn't equal, but it should be fair. So as I thought about it, how does one advocate fairness? Fairness in thought, in action, in trust?
You can't really.
But a lot of separation and discrimination that leads to unfair situations are spawned by fear. A fear of the new, the weird and the unknown. When people are uniformed, they tend to believe what they are told, what feels most comfortable to them or simply just make something up, leaving them biased based on falsity.
That can not stand.
I am a part of a generation that continues to break down barriers. Interracial relationships are normal. Differing sexual orientations are acknowledged. Opposing religions are discussed. We are trying to embrace the new and misunderstood. And yet that's the problem. Even if we strive to accept the formerly ignored, we still lack a level of understanding that allows us to completely and purely love the different. We have to know more, we have to be unafraid to discuss and we have to be willing to admit our own prejudices and fears in order to truly and honestly become like Christ.
So that is my goal for the next six weeks or so.
I, as an advocate for the fair, will strive to educate my peers and even more importantly, open up channels of communication and thought in the hope that we can all be a little more loving and honest.

No comments: