Sunday, April 12, 2009

Testing...testing...

As I sit contemplating what will interest ya'll I realize that this whole blogging thing is weird, and it'll take me a little while to really get use to it. So, until then, bear with me. Thanks.

Random stories from the week:
First-This week I got the score on my benchmark (For my news-writing class we had to watch a news conference and then write a story on it. It's graded on a 50-40-30-20-10 scale and you have to get at least a 30 to apply for your major.) I was really worried about it, but I got a 50!! I was so stoked because that will help me in applying to PR and it means I pretty much did a perfect job. Way excited.
Second-Taylor Jarman finally shipped off to army basic training this week. JeffGeorge and I drove him up to Salt Lake and I gave him a hug goodbye. I'm good, nothing emotional, but he is one of my closest friends so I'll miss kicking it with him.
Third-I registered for Fall semester 2009 classes and I'm excited. It will be a crazy semester but I'll have Fridays off which will be really nice.
Fourth-I really want a scooter/motorcycle. (Sorry Mom, I had to say it. But, I'm not getting anything just yet so no fears.)

Let's go from the ridiculous to the sublime, shall we?

Today is Easter, and as some of you may know it is the end of the Catholic holiday Lent. For those of you who don't know, Lent is a time of fasting where one gives something up to help them remember Christ and prepare for Easter. While that may not be the official definition, that's what I interpreted it to be. On Fat Tuesday (aka. Mardi Gras/the start of Lent) McKenzie, Philip, Liz and I got together to celebrate and McKenzie made mention of the fact she tried to give up Diet Coke for the 40 or so days preceding Easter. It was weird how strongly it hit me: I should do that same thing. (Side note: McKenzie made it six hours. Haha. I'm sorry, I just thought that was funny) So I did. 
It's been really interesting how the experience effected me. 
For the majority of the time, I didn't think much beyond that fact I had to have water with my Wingers or hamburger, but this weekend has made the entire sacrifice worth it.

This week is Holy Week in the Catholic perspective. It begins with Palm Sunday and continues with Holy Thursday (The day Christ atoned for us in Gethsemane and the last supper) then Good Friday (the day Christ was crucified) then Easter Sunday (The day Christ was risen). 

Normally I just think to myself, "Oh right, it's Good Friday. Why the heck doesn't BYU give us the day off? Notre Dame would be so ashamed." but this entire weekend has been very tender for me. I won't get into details, beyond one story, but I will let you know that I have felt Christ's sacrifice in a more personal sense and I know that our Father in Heaven loves us. 
My one story:
I had my English 218 - Creative writing class on Good Friday and we read the poem "Saint Judas" by James Wright.

When I went out to kill myself, I caught A pack of hoodlums beating up a man. Running to spare his suffering, I forgot My name, my number, how my day began,
How soldiers milled around the garden stone And sang amusing songs; how all that day Their javelins measured crowds; how I alone Bargained the proper coins, and slipped away.  Banished from heaven, I found this victim beaten, Stripped, kneed, and left to cry.  Dropping my rope Aside, I ran, ignored the uniforms:
Then I remembered bread my flesh had eaten, The kiss that ate my flesh.  Flayed without hope, I held the man for nothing in my arms.
WHAM. It hit me: Christ died so that we could become more like him in every way. Here was Judas the betrayer who sold Christ for 30 silver coins (the price of a slave) spending his last moments in complete selflessness. I hope you'll find your own meaning in the holiday, but I'll just leave you with the knowledge that I found something very dear to me this year.
I love you all!

No comments: